Tuesday 1 May 2018

Alison Wilding. The Whitworth, Manchester.

Alison Wilding

This is another exhibition that I took in whilst at The Whitworth for our study visit.  Not too much to say about apart from the fact that I loved the work, especially the wooden structure containing the spheres: In a Dark Wood which had an unexpected relevance to my BOW: SHUL.  See comment below.







 I particularly like this piece and was fascinated by the grey spheres contained within it.  I was immediately struck by the quote from Dante's Inferno which served as an inspiration for the work: 
In the middle of the road of our life
I found myself once more in a dark wood
Where the straight way was lost....

I just wish that I had seen this reference when I was working on my Shul project, especially the Bewildered aspect which is a development of the work since BOW.  I was surprised at the number of visitors to my exhibition who commented that they were uncomfortable in a wood and frightened of becoming lost.  I am planning on further developing the Bewildered work and will find this work and it's reference to Dante very useful.


No comments:

Post a Comment