Wednesday 8 August 2018

A Day in a Life, Second Draft

A Day in a Life

Second Draft

This work is based on some personal writing of my mother's which she entitled My Memorable Day.  Written in the mid 1960s she tells the story of a day out with her father when she was about 8 years old and so, about 1930.  Grandad Taylor was a baker in the small Lincolnshire village of Martin and after baking the bread in the early hours of the morning he would then deliver it by horse drawn baker's cart around the local villages.  On this particular day my mother was taken with him.

In producing this second draft I have changed the following:
  • In the first set of images I have not included a caption at all.  My mother's writing is part of each image and hopefully clear enough for the viewer to be able to make up their own mind as to what the image is saying.
  • In the second (and also first set) I have not used my typed text of my mother's words but have cut and pasted the relevant phrases.  I have displayed these as they might look spread across two pages of a book or, perhaps on a gallery wall.
  • For the third aspect of the work I have created an audio visual component where I read my mother's words.  The link to this can be found at the end of the images.
  • I have achieved the consistency that was lacking in the first draft of this work.  Each image has three elements and all of the photographs fill the image space.  I have set the writing at the same opacity in order to achieve consistency of legibility.
  • I am still working on one excellent suggestion, that of producing hard copies of the images by making use of cut and paste collage.  I really like this idea and my experiments continue.
This is still a work in progress and, as such, remains unresolved.  

The following images can be viewed large by clicking on a thumbnail.

Set 1




















Set 2




















Set 3

The images can be viewed as an audio visual presentation on Vimeo.  The link is : https://vimeo.com/283936302

For the above presentation I spoke my mother's words.  I also, felt, however, that it would be better to have a female voice and persuading my daughter to take on this role preserved the direct familial link.

The link to this on Vimeo is: https://vimeo.com/285985787

No comments:

Post a Comment