Wednesday 25 July 2018

Evolving Landscapes. OXO Tower, South Bank, London

Evolving Landscapes

This was an exhibition of contemporary landscape photography featuring 20 photographers curated by Charlie Waite, founder of both the Landscape Photographer of the Year competition and also the Light and Land landscape photography holiday company.  In fact the work was all produced by Light and Land tutors taken on the locations used for their workshops.  As much as I enjoyed the work I felt that it was mainly a shop window for the company and in fact Charlie Waite and some of the tutors were there promoting the trips.  Having said that the work was excellent and I include below those images I found most exciting.





 Valda Bailey, Midas Touch, Bruges

I have long been a fan of Valda Bailey's work and have seen it exhibited before in Southwell, Minster, Nottinghamshire.  She produces abstract work usually by employing ICM techniques and in camera multi exposure.  She, among others, have inspired me to expreiment with the same techniques, although I can do two in camera and and do my blending in photoshop.  I am intrigued as to how she has produced this image, but find myself thinking of abstract painting and the work that I saw in the Shape of Light exhibition at Tate Modern.

 Andy Farrer, Patience

Taken in Essaouira, Morocco this image has a beautiful double entendre in it's title.  An excellent example of 'The Decisive Moment'.

 Carla Regler, Blue Wave

Taken at Porthleven in Cornwall using long exposure to produce just enough movement blur in the wave to give an abstract feel without losing all of the detail of the wave completely.  I am 'into' photographing waves at the moment so enjoyed this image.  I liked the sweeping, curving lines in it and the superb colour.  It reminds me of many I took in northern Spain this June. (Also here)

 Ben Osborn, Shifting Sand

Taken in Laig Bay, Isle of Eigg .  Really like the detain in the sand grains and the contrast between the black and golden sand.  Reminds me of similar work that I have done in my micro landscapes.

 Clive Minnitt, Mending Fishing Nets Vietnam.

A great image of a woman mending nets; she is totally focussed on the job in hand.  I like the fact that the hat hides her eyes - her concentration is on the job not the photographer.  Love the detail and sweeping lines in the nets.

 Sue Bishop, Elegance

A close-up of a tulip.  An excellent use of differential focus with just the stamen sharp.  An image I aspire to and rarely achieve.

 Phil Malpas, Val d Orcia, Dawn

Superb golden light, soft and misty.  THE Tuscan image.  An area that I planned to visit 5 years ago on a road trip to Italy, but the car broke down in Switzerland and scuppered our plans necessitating a rearranged itinerary.

 Joe Cornish, Shepherds Crag

Rich autumn colours like a victorian oil painting.  There is beautiful detail in the silver birch trunks.  A long exposure has produced a nic amount of movement blur in the small branches.  The fact that this was the only image with a sold sticker on is perhaps indicative of the fact that Joe Cornish is well known in the public domain.

 Charlie Waite, Andalucia

I was interested in this in that Charlie's work was the only one to have more that one image in the show (perhaps because it was his show?) and the only one to show a series of images with a narrative so this was the winner in my view.

Damien Demolder, Gold Pralines

This is the centre of the three images below.  I really enjoyed the contrast of the golde light on the building and the deep shadow.  The moving figure made the image for me.

Peter Hendre Candy Floss Fields

This is the right hand of the three images below.  It is of Almond blossom in the Alpajurra region of Southern Spain.  I really liked the delicate pastel colours and the effect of multi exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment