Wednesday 2 August 2017

Further Progress on Publishing My Work; Visit to a Local Bookbinder.

Visit to The Bindery, Home of Local Bookbinder, Mags Bradley

As well as publishing my work next March through the vehicle of an exhibition, I have long harboured thoughts of publishing it in a book form alongside the exhibition, but not in the ubiquitous Blurb format.  Having known Mags as a bespoke bookbinder for sometime through my wife's involvement with our local art scene I decided to approach her about the possibility of a made to order book.

As the work, Shul, is about walking woodland footpaths, I have thought for some time that a cover made from thin sheets of wood would be appropriate, but I wasn't sure if this would be possible.  To my delight she thought that it was an excellent idea.  The perfect thing would be to use small-leaved lime wood, as my woodland walking began in the Lincolnshire Lime Woods.Not only did Mags think that a wooden cover was a good idea she was able to point me in the direction of a possible supplier and a quick online search revealed other sources.

There are two possibilities for producing a book.  One would be a made to order leather binding photograph album with acid free pages, although at £300 this would be more expensive than I had anticipated.  The second option was more feasible on cost, but would also allow for the wooden covers.  This would be approximately £120 plus materials which I would supply.  An online price for the wood would be in the region of £20.  The leaves would be Somerset Paper and would cost approximately £30.  Interleaving pages would protect the images and would also allow for printing of text and the cost would be approximately £10.

Mags would also be able to make a velvet lined clamshell box for the book to fit in for about £20.

All told the second option would be under £200.  Not cheap but, as the exhibition space I have booked is only £35, which allows me to sell my work the whole thing becomes more viable.

All food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment